Summer Institute 2017: Program Content
Below is a drafted outline of what you can expect from our ADVANCE STUDIES IN WEST AFRICAN MUSIC, DANCE AND CULTURE course. Please note that the course designers have the right to make changes to itinerary and a more final itinerary will be sent out to registered course participants by May 1, 2017.
In this two-week course you will experience:
Daily classes in traditional drumming, dancing, & singing
Distinguished lectures on ethnomusicology & dance ethnology and culture in Ghana
Special performances of traditional music and dance
Special lecture-demonstrations on Ghanaian-Ewe kente weaving
Field Trips to nearby traditional villages and traditional ceremonies
Nunya Festival: A children and youth music and dance festival
Interactions and performances with students from Nunya Music Academy
Additional Potential Tours of Southern Ghana:
-Accra (museums, arts market, University of Ghana, National Theatre)
-Cape Coast and Elmina (slave castles, forts, Kakum rainforest canopy walk)
-Tafi monkey sanctuary, Wli waterfalls and Amedzofe Gemi mountain
COURSE & HOUSING COST (All prices in US Dollars)
Tuition/Course Fee: $995 per person
Room & Board (14 nights):
Double Occupancy (2 to a room): $840 per person
Single Occupancy (1 to a room): $1,330 per person
Participants have the option to stay for a third week. In that time they have the opportunity to experience:
Volunteer and help teach basic Western Music to students and teachers of Nunya Academy, such as the following depending on your area of expertise (all instruments are available, however some require repairs):
- Brass (trumpet, trombone, euphonium, tuba, French horn)
- Woodwind (saxophone, clarinet, flute and others).
- Percussion (drum set).
- Strings, including Guitars (electric & acoustics)
- Piano/keyboards (electronic)
- Theory (basic music theory, e.g. site reading and notation)
- Voice training, vocal/choral music
- Direct ensembles (e.g. wind, jazz, choral, modern dance
- Instrument repair: Help fix western instruments for Nunya Academy. Parts provided.
Take private lessons from faculty and other local traditional artists (may require additional fees/expenses including room & board @ $95/night including breakfast and dinner):
- Music and dance: drumming, xylophone and song
- Movement and vocal music: dancing and singing
- Art: kente weaving, tie-dye, batik and bead making.
- Making of musical instruments (drums, metal bells, rattles and xylophones)